Thursday, March 25, 2010

Where I'm From

Thanks Gretchen http://momentsofclaritybygretchen.blogspot.com/ for this idea.


I am from tomato preserves, Brach's candies from the refrigerator, and homemade Chex mix.

I am from the farm house on the blacktop...modest, welcoming, and the smell of dirt, farm life and freshly oiled road.

I am from mulberries that stain your bare toes, walnuts on the ground and cicada shells in the trees.

I am from Sunday dinner at Grandma's and big brown eyes, from Frank & Eva and Charles & Evelyn and Ronnie & Barb.

I am from the quiet family who you've never seen upset and the outspoken who make their feelings known.

From "I don't know. Are you able?" and "Coffee will stunt your growth and turn you black."

I am from the Christian Church with long wooden pews and a baptistry under the stage floor.

I'm from Barnard, Missouri and ham salad made from bologna and goulash with a bay leaf hidden somewhere inside.

From the woman who danced with Jesse James, the trombone player & violinist who played in a big band, and the shy, smitten man whose friend hid the girl's purse so they'd have to meet again.

I am from family photos in dresser drawers, delicate wedding rings in the jewelry box and old cars in the pasture.

How could a girl ask for more?


Want to make your own? Check out http://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm

1 comment:

Ande81 said...

Litteraly brought me to tears and made smile all at once. I love our family :)